Saturday, August 16, 2014

Do You WASHI?! A Crafting Obsession Turned Bright Idea

Time for another installment of the Bright Ideas Link Up!

I love this linky because I have already gathered so many different ideas to implement in my classroom from the last few ones! I cannot wait to see all the ideas this month, too! When you've gone through my bright idea, be sure to scroll to the bottom for the link up of the other bright ideas from a variety of teacher bloggers across all grade levels!

My bright idea is all about that WASHI stuff.
OH my gosh. Do I have an obsession with washi or what?! What you see above is only HALF of what I've got. I have a box stuffed in my closet full of the stuff!

Well, washi tape is obviously great for crafting. It's decorative, fun, bright, and just all around useful. I've used it in scrapbooking to hold pictures in, I've used it to wrap my presents with, and I've even used it to seal envelopes in a cutesy way!

BUT, do you know of the AMOUNT of uses that washi tape has in the classroom!? OH MY GOSH. The possibilities are endless!!!

This year alone, I've used washi tape in 4 different areas of my classroom. The first area I used it in was on my whiteboard to divide it up into sections. I've got an area where my kiddos are responsible for their attendance (they move their number to the "here" side when here, and leave it on the "not here" side when they aren't here). I've got an area set up to display my standards for the Common Core. And I've got an area for my homework club. The area that's not "roped off" is where I write throughout the day. LOVE the way it looks!!

Then, I took the same style washi tape and I divided my tables down the middle so each student knew where their "space" was. This is my first time having tables instead of desks and so I wanted to make sure my kiddos knew what area they had so that they didn't interfere with other students' areas. 

Not only does it make the room feel functional and well planned out, but it's also BEAUTIFUL!

The tape I used is by Glitz and it's called Color Me Happy. It ties in PERFECTLY with my classroom decor which is just bright rainbow colors.

Beyond that, my students have individual composition books for each subject: science, math, reading, and social studies. In order to identify which black/white spec composition book is the correct one, I put a color coded tape on the spine.

Science is green, math is yellow, reading is red, and social studies is blue. This helps my students be able to find the correct notebook for each subject when we need to use them. Instead of pulling out every composition book or looking in every cover, they can easily look at the spine and see the correct color notebook that they need.

Washi tape is SO versatile and I cannot wait to see how else I can find ways to use in the classroom.

Do you use washi tape, either at home or in the classroom? I'd love to hear about how you use it, where you get it from, and how many rolls you have ;)

If you'd like to check out other ways that I use bright ideas in my classroom, please feel free to head to my Facebook page or my Pinterest page.

Now that you've read my bright idea, make sure to check out the other 70+ ideas below! You'll be sure to find some fantastic ones!

7 comments:

  1. Haha! Great minds think alike! :) Love me some Washi Tape! I was planning on doing a jumbo Washi post for Bright Ideas, but accidentally forgot about the link-up and wrote my post 20 minutes before it was due... oops! Did you see the muti-packs at Michaels?! So fun!

    Kate
    EduKate and Inspire

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not yet used Washi but have been very curious, since I LOVE the different styles of Duck Tape. I was looking for something to divide up my Word Wall, which is on one of my chalkboards this year. Does the Washi tape leave a residue when you remove it? Thank you so very much for sharing such a wonderfully bright idea!!

    Warmest Wishes, Erin from Kindergarten Dragons

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so jealous of all your Washi tape! I dream of owning a collection like that some day!

    Sally from Elementary Matters

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just bought my first Washi tape. Can you believe that? Thanks for the ideas. I am sure I will be taping away!

    Kathy Griffin's Teaching Strategies

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too have an obsession with Washi tape. I'm finding it in more and more stores. So many uses! Thanks for sharing some new ideas.

    Mona
    First Grade Schoolhouse

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have just started buying it for our interactive notebooks. Should I get dispensers for the tape? Do you rip pieces off or use scissors? Is there some type of dispenser that third-graders could use to help control the amount of tape taken? Any tips on management would be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Workig in a secondary school I have a lot of students and a lot of folders coming through my classroom.
    I use washi tape on the edges of large tubs which match the strip I put on each students folder. Each class has a different washi pattern so it's easy for them to remember to put their folder in the right drawer, AND if any go missing (put in the wrong tub) they're easy to spot.

    ReplyDelete

I love love love receiving comments. I read each and every one of them! I also will try to respond to each one.. either on here or through e-mail! LOVE YOU ALL FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...